IT Consultant Everyday Notes

Just some problems/solutions storage

SCCM 2012: Software Update Download failed with ERROR: There was an error downloading the software update. (12029)

Issue: I tried to download updates creating a new Software Update Package using a remote SCCM console. SCCM created a folder for the first update under the Package Source folder, but could not download content – failed with ERROR: There was an error downloading the software update. (12029)

Resolution: I checked PatchDownloader.log located in %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Temp\3 folder and found the error saying the content cannot be downloaded from Microsoft Update site.

There is a proxy in the environment. I set proxy settings in IE and content was downloaded successfully.

Note: There is a Proxy Settings in properties of Software Update Point in SCCM. Do not forget to set it up if there is no direct connection to Microsoft Update sites from your SCCM SUP. This settings affects SUP/Microsoft synchronization process only!

To download Software Update Content you have to have proxy configured in IE on the machine you use to run the SCCM console. At least that solve the issue for me.

Advertisements

6 responses to “SCCM 2012: Software Update Download failed with ERROR: There was an error downloading the software update. (12029)

  1. Jason Oliphant October 24, 2013 at 12:15 pm

    I had this exact problem and this didn’t fix the problem. I got lucky and decided to search the registry for my proxy because I cleared it out of everywhere I could think of. Sure enough I found it in a SMS reg key. Then I cleared it and and now my ADR’s are working correctly. I had to put my servers on a different vlan so they have a direct connection now, no proxy but oh well at least they work.

  2. SCCM BOFH June 30, 2015 at 10:06 am

    I had this exact problem and sure enough, setting the proxy in IE on the workstation used to run the SCCM console worked – thanks.

  3. Anna September 25, 2015 at 5:09 am

    I had the same problem and the proxy settings in IE on the site server made a difference. Thanks.

  4. Okan May 24, 2016 at 12:12 pm

    Thanks. Save my day

  5. Prabhu February 1, 2017 at 10:51 am

    It worked for me. Many Thanks

  6. Brian April 12, 2017 at 8:51 am

    I too had this issue. Never before have I had to do this; but today I put our proxy into IE on the SCCM site server and it downloaded without error. Thanks for the info!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: