Azure: How to add W10 VM
September 4, 2015
Posted by on
Our company has MPN subscription to Azure. For some reasons Microsoft decided not to add Windows 10 template to Gallery and I needed to do it manually.
Josh Heffner has a nice description of the process.
I created a 10GB OS disk. It is quicker to download, but VM disk need to be expanded. I used the following procedure to resize the VM OS disk;
NOTE: I am using version 0.9.7 of Powershell Azure Module. Earlier versions may not support the disk resize.
Assuming Azure PS model is already installed.
1. I sign-in with my Microsoft account using Add-AzureAccount
2. Checked my Subscriptions using Get-AzureSubscription
3. Select subscription using Slelect-AzureSubscription “Microsoft Partner Network”
4. Check available disks using Get-AzureDisk | ft Label, AttachedTo, DiskName –AutoSize
5. Extend OS disk of my windows 10 VM using Update-AzureDisk –DiskName <DISKNAME> –ResizedSizeInGB 120 –label TinyVMOS
Note. The VNM must be in “StopppedDeallocated” state. You can Shutdown VM from Azure Console or from Powershell. Shutdown from OS itself is not enough.
Note 2: It tool 10 min between shutdown and the moment powershell command recognized that and proceeded resizing.