IT Consultant Everyday Notes

Just some problems/solutions storage

Monthly Archives: September 2016

SCCM: How to convert Package to Application using Package Conversion Manager (PCM) on SCCM CB

PCM does not support SCCM Console newer than SCCM 2012 SP1. Jason Sandys published and article for SCCM R2. I used the same approach for SCCM CB (1607) and it seems to be working fine.

 

Step-by-step from Jason is here: http://blog.configmgrftw.com/package-conversion-manager-and-configmgr-r2-sp1-or-sp2/

SCCM: WSUS re-installation

I recently found a badly broken 2012 R2 WSUS in one of my Clients environment. After some troubleshooting I decided to re-install WSUS to save time.

Here are several points to remember during re-installation.

1. Not everything will be uninstall with WSUS

– Windows Internal Database (should be unchecked in Feature List during uninstallation or uninstalled using directions: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939818(v=ws.10).aspx)

– Content of C:\Windows|WID should be cleared before the new install (otherwise you may have an error message “Synchronization in progress. Please cancel synchronization and rerun postinstall again.”  after the new WSUS will be installed

– you may decide to clean \WSUS folder created for the old WSUS

2. If you will use PowerShell for WSUS installation and wsusutill won’t be able to configure WSUSContent folder for you you may have an error saying Content folder cannot be accessed. In this case you may decide to add the content folder location to XML configuration script, the process is described here: https://gyorgybalassy.wordpress.com/2013/08/10/installing-wsus-on-windows-server-2012/

Unfortunately in my case postinstall failed regardless giving me weird: “System.InvalidOperationException — Client found response content type of ‘text/html; charset=utf-8’, but expected ‘text/xml’”. I tried to unistall MMC cache for WSUS, uninstall WID and WSUS, nothing helped.

Finally I uninstalled WSUS, WID, IIS, cleaned abovementioned directories, reboot the server and installed the WSUS back (enabled HTTP Activation under WCF for .Net 4.5 and  patched the server with the latest WSUS Updates). This time it successfully started.

SCCM: Windows 10 changes Default Application set for Adobe .pdf files

I am helping to create/deploy a Windows 10 image in one of my Customers environment. There is a requirement to have Adobe Reader DC in a Gold Windows 10 image.

I am preparing the Gold Image with MDT 2013 Upd 2 and deploy it with SCCM (build 1606).

One of issues we faced is a Software Association for Adobe Reader .pdf files: Even though Adobe Reader setup was customized with Customization Kit and Adobe Reader was set as default Application for PDF files after imaging we observe Microsoft Edge set itself as a default app for PDFs . Sad smile

I googled the issue and found I am not alone… Unfortunately the most common advice is to start Reader and configure it as default app in GUI (for example here is Adobe guide: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/not-default-pdf-owner-windows10.html). Work fine I guess for non-enterprise environment, but not suitable for my case. In addition it will set association for the current user only (http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/edge-hijack-pdf-htm-associations/)

Assoc command described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/184082 does not seem to be working in Windows 10. I mean even though assc .pdf  shows correct association Edge is still the default app Smile

I finally found a way to manipulate association with DISM command (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824855.aspx)

So, here is the solution I am using:

1. On a reference machine with Adobe Reader installed (but not set as a default App for PDF) export default application configuration to a .XML file using dism command: “DISM.exe /Online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations >your.xml

2. Open the XML file in Notepad and delete unnecessary lines before XML header

3. Browse the XML to see association for .pdf

4. Here is a trick. You need aplicationID of Adobe Reader to be able to replace ApplicationID of EDGE you have in the XML. I right-clicked a PDF document and selected Open With. I see the prefered App is Edge, but the Reader is just after that. So in the XML file I copied the first ID from “OverwriteOfProgIdIs” parameter to ProgId parameter. Hopefully the explication is clear. Anyway, my line for .pdf association looks like:

<Association Identifier=”.pdf” ProgId=”AppX86746z2101ayy2ygv3g96e4eqdf8r99j” ApplicationName=”Adobe Reader” ApplyOnUpgrade=”true” OverwriteIfProgIdIs=”AppXk660crfh0gw7gd9swc1nws708mn7qjr1″ />

After that I I import the XML file back to Windows using:

Dism.exe /Online /Import-DefaultAppAssociations:your.xml

Please note, even that won’t change association for the current user. But, all new users will get it set properly.

So I created an additional application in my MDT to import the pre-created XML and inserted the Application Deployment step in my TS and re-generated the image. As soon as the image is deployed all domain users should have Adobe Reader as a default app for PDFs.

Note: I guess I could use offline servicing to inject XML into the image during the image creation and it would help with association for “Administrator”, but I guess online approach  is easier and cleaner.

 

You can also try a per-user GPO as described here: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/pdfviewer.html