IT Consultant Everyday Notes

Just some problems/solutions storage

Tag Archives: CU

Lync 2013: Front end server start fails

One of my Lync 2013 FE did not start after update to August 2014 CU.

The error pointed to certificate:


Event Id: 14397:

A configured certificate could not be loaded from store. The serial number is attached for reference.

Extended Error Code: 0x800B0109(CERT_E_UNTRUSTEDROOT).


Event Id 14646:

A serious problem related to certificates is preventing Lync Server from functioning.

Unable to use the default outgoing certificate.
The certificate may have been deleted or may be invalid, or permissions are not set correctly.
Ensure that a valid certificate is present in the local computer certificate store. Also ensure that the server has sufficient privileges to access the store.


details page (for Event Id 14397) shows the certificate number. I tried to find it using PowerShell

Get-ChildItem -Path CERT: -Recurse | FT Subject, SerialNumber | FindStr <NUMBER FROM EVENT VIEWER>

It returned an empty string. So I rerun it without |findstr … and checked output. Naturally I saw one of cert number is similar to whatever was in event id  BUT

1. it was backward and

2. each two bytes were changed in place

It is confusing, eh? so I will try to give an example:

Number in Event viewer:    ABCDEFGH12

Certificate number: 12GHEFCDAB

After that I found the certificate in question – it is my pool cert which works just fine of my first FE server…

I checked the certificate using Cert MMS – it looked ok and fully trusted. Trusted root – GeoTrust Global CA was on its place.

Resolution: An intermediate certificate (GeoTrust SSL CA – G2) was not under “Intermediate Certification Authorities”. I copied it from my first server store to the second one and restarted the front-end on the second server. It started successfully this time.


SCCM 2012: CU2 installation failed

Microsoft published CU2 for SCCM 2012 recently. I faced installation issues trying to get it installed. In GUI installer it failed on the second step (update installation).

In logs (c:\windows\TEMP\configmgr2012-rtm-co2-kb2780664-emu.msi.log”) I found:

MSI (s) (B8:F4) [10:17:12:708]: Note: 1: 1708
MSI (s) (B8:F4) [10:17:12:708]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error
MSI (s) (B8:F4) [10:17:12:708]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1708
MSI (s) (B8:F4) [10:17:12:708]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: Error
MSI (s) (B8:F4) [10:17:12:708]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1709
MSI (s) (B8:F4) [10:17:12:708]: Product: Cumulative Update 2 for Configuration Manager RTM (KB2780664) — Installation failed.

I copied an extracted .msi file to a separate folder and tried to run it from there. This time I had clearer errors:

1. WDS is running and need to be stopped

2. There is no enough space on drive C: (even though requisites check passed just fine!)



1. I manually stopped WDS

2. I freed 200MB of space on C:\ (error asked for 74MB and I had them free on c: so I decided to free more just to be on safe side)

After that I restarted GUI installer and it finished without errors.