IT Consultant Everyday Notes

Just some problems/solutions storage

SCCM: Server OS Upgrade on site server

Today I decided to test OS Upgrade on my SCCM 1810 site server. I never recommend it to my Customers preferring side-by-side as a cleaner solution, but since Microsoft listed it as a viable option I decided to see what will be an experience.

Original state: Windows Server 2012 R2 + SQL 2014 + SCCM 1810 with rollup and two updates

Target: Windows Server 2019 + SQL 2017 CU13 + SCCM 1810 with rollup and two updates

1. I started with SQL Upgrade

– SQL 2017 does not have reporting services, it should be installed separately. So, I guess ideally it make sense to backup database and recovery key for SSRS. Bot since I did not have any custom reports I decided just re-install SSRS. Note: SQL 2017 will uninstall SSRS, but leave its databases.

– SQL 2017 does not have SQL Management Studio, it should be installed separately. So I guess it make sense to uninstall SSMS before the upgrade. I did not do it, just installed the latest standalone SSMS on top, but I think it would be cleaner to uninstall the old one first.

– When I installed fresh SSMS the first time it miserably failed. I rebooted the machine and run installer again, at that time it finished successfully. 

– Since I did not delete SSRS databases and I did not bother backup recovery key I needed to create a new Reporting database with different name.

2. OS Upgrade.

– Check if there is any pending reboot

– Even though I did not have any my first upgrade failed. I rebooted the server and started again and this time OS upgraded successfully.

3. SCCM on new OS

– When I tried t start SCCM Console the connection to SCCM failed. I suspected some permission malfunctioning so I Reset the site using cd.latest folder. That did not help

– I found an forum post by Gordon Fecyk https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e1302081-fae4-4685-87ac-518636a14a24/permission-problems-after-os-upgrade-on-sccm-site-server?forum=ConfigMgrCBGeneral and checked WMI rights on my upgraded server – SMS\Site_Code was ok, but \SMS itself missed some permissions for SMS Admins group. I set the permissions as per the post and the Console connects to SCCM successfully.

image

– Software Update Point is down (in Server Console WSUS requires additional configuration. I fixed it using:

“%PROGRAMFILES%\Update Services\Tools\wsusutil.exe” postinstall CONTENT_DIR=f:\WSUS SQL_INSTANCE_NAME=”localhost”

– Reporting Point is down too – fixed by resetting reporting service access account (in properties of Reporting Service Point in SCCM Console).

Will see how SCCM will work now Smile

Still prefer side-by-side…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: